Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Orange

My family doesn't have a lot of family traditions. There's not one thing that we necessarily do on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve. However, there are a few of us that have followed an old tradition of adding a fruit ornament besides the other glass ornaments. When my grandmother was born my great grandparents put an orange on the Christmas tree with her name and date on it. My father also has an orange ornament that he added in the 1960's. As the oranges have dried they have shrunk, but they are fun to see.

James and I thought that we would add an orange to our tree in 2006 to celebrate our first Christmas together. Now each year we look forward to unwrapping the ornament and putting it on the tree. While it is the most simple ornament on the tree, it is also our most favorite.


1 comment: